Watch how to adjust the self propel traction on a Toro all-wheel drive lawn mower. The self propel drive is what gives the wheels power and works by a cable that’s attached to the traction adjustment knob on the Toro mower handle. The traction adjustment knob provides a simple way to adjust the cable to make your mower more responsive or less responsive.
Hi there! I’m here from Toro to offer a quick tip to help you keep the traction on your All Wheel Drive mower adjusted properly out of the box and throughout the life of your mower.
You may have noticed this traction adjustment knob and decal here on the side of the handle. You can actually use it to make your mower either more or less responsive. Typically when you first get your mower, the traction should be properly adjusted. But you may have a different preference in how it feels or over time, the belts may stretch due to wear making the mower feel less responsive than you’d like. The traction adjustment knob provides a simple way to adjust the traction and I’ll show you how to do just that now.
How to Adjust The Traction Adjustment Knob
- There are two cables on an All Wheel Drive mower. One for the front drive and one for the back.
- Before you make any adjustment, turn off the mower.
- Loosen the traction adjustment knob by turning it counter-clockwise.
- To increase traction, pull the cables down toward the engine.
- To decrease, pull the cables up toward the handle.
- Now be sure that the cables are adjusted equally and then tighten the knob by turning it clockwise.
- Always tighten the cables in small increments and see how it feels. If you tighten it too much, the mower could creep forward or make it difficult to roll the mower back freely.
If you’ve had the mower for a while and tightening the cables doesn’t do the trick, check your belts. If you need to replace them refer to your owners manual and check out Toro.com for Toro Genuine Parts.